- Sorry you missed this event, however, you can watch it NOW on our EACC YouTube Channel.
The U.S. Trademark Modernization Act: What Foreign Companies Need to Know
April 12 @ 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM EDT
Brought to you by EACC Paris.
One of the primary goals of the TMA, which will be implemented by December 27, 2021, is to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the U.S. Trademark Registry by creating new tools and procedures for challenging applications and registrations with inaccurate claims of use. It has the potential to significantly impact trademark prosecution and registration in the U.S., particularly for foreign applicants/registrants who obtained a U.S. registration without having to establish use prior to registration.
This panel offers a unique opportunity to learn about the TMA from a variety of perspectives (USPTO and inside and outside counsel) and also to provide your comments and feedback to the USPTO on issues relating to its implementation.
- What are the policy goals of the TMA and how will it impact trademark prosecution and enforcement in the U.S.?
- How will the new ex parte cancellation proceedings (both of which are aimed at removing unused marks from the register) impact foreign applicants/registrants?
- How does the TMA interact with other changes implemented by the USPTO to address concerns of fraud/non-use?
- What are the special considerations for foreign applicants/registrants seeking to register/maintain U.S. marks based upon foreign registrations (where proof of use is not initially required)
- What other considerations should foreign applicants/registrants keep in mind in order to prepare for the implementation of the TMA?
- Amy Cotton, Deputy Commissioner for Trademark Examination Policy at the USPTO
- Stephanie Espada, In-house associate counsel at Lincare
- Laura Pitts, Counsel at Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
To Register, please contact Christina Sleszynska at firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is brought to you by EACC Paris