- Sorry you missed this event, however, you can watch it NOW on our EACC YouTube Channel.
Trade Disputes, Steel, Sweaters and Wine: Repairing the US-EU Relationship under the Biden Administration
February 24 @ 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM EST
With the January 2021 inauguration now behind us, how the Biden Administration addresses the major trade issues which have been a focus of the Trump Administration will impact European companies manufacturing globally and importing into the U.S. This webinar will discuss the Biden Administration’s intention to repair the US-EU relationship and to work with the EU on China’s unfair trade and forced labor practices. Our speakers will also address several substantive issues including the long running Airbus-Boeing dispute and additional tariffs on products enacted by both sides of the Atlantic, the Digital Services Tax and the impact of using tariffs as a negotiating tool.
Topics for discussion
- With Joe Biden as President – what will change?
- How will the Biden Administration engage with the EU and the UK?
- What’s next for the Boeing/Airbus dispute?
- What have been the effects of this dispute on certain industries such as steel, wine or sweaters in the US?
- How are the US relations with China impacting the US-EU trade relations? Can the EU and US work together vs the Chinese steel industry?
- The on-going Digital Services Tax agenda is a global digital economy issue. How is it being addressed in the EU and the US?
- How is Brexit impacting the US-EU trade conversations and what is the status of a UK-US trade agreement?
- What is the status of the discussion on forced labor practices on both sides of the Atlantic and what could be their role in shaping US-EU trade negotiations and the discussions with China?
- Tomas Baert, Head of Section – Trade & Agriculture – Delegation of the European Union to the United States
- Ryan Evans, Senior Trade Policy Adviser – Consulate General of the United Kingdom in Atlanta
- Laura Siegel Rabinowitz, Shareholder – Greenberg Traurig [Moderator]
- Hubert Surville, CEO & Founder – Surville Enterprises Corp.
Tomas Baert is the Head of the Trade & Agriculture Section at the European Union Delegation in Washington DC since August 2018, in charge of the planning, management and coordination of EU trade policy in the US. Tomas joined the European Commission in 2005 and held various positions at DG Trade in Brussels and at the EU Representation to the WTO in Geneva. Dossiers he handled in various capacities include: BREXIT, TTIP, the EU-India FTA and EU-Korea FTA, as well as WTO negotiations including multilateral negotiations on intellectual property rights and competition policy. Before joining the European Commission, Tomas worked as an EU government affairs representative for US multinational DuPont. Tomas holds an MSC from the London School of Economics (LSE) and an MA from the Catholic University of Leuven (KUL), Belgium. He spent a term at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland and completed the Mastering Trade Policy program at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
Ryan Evans serves as the Senior Trade Policy Advisor for the British Consulates General in Atlanta and Miami. Covering the seven Southeastern states, she promotes the British government’s international trade policy objectives, including the completion of a comprehensive UK-US Free Trade Agreement.
Evans previously worked for Georgia’s Senator Johnny Isakson from 2009-2019. Starting as an intern, she worked her way up to becoming the senator’s Foreign Policy Advisor. During her tenure, she covered issues related to foreign and trade policy, national security, and veterans’ affairs. Evans earned her Master’s Degree from the Elliott School at the George Washington University in International Development Studies. She is a graduate of Georgia Southern University.
Laura Siegel Rabinowitz
Laura Siegel Rabinowitz is a Partner at Greenberg Traurig and counsels domestic and multinational businesses on complex supply chain issues and other complicated challenges associated with trade, advising on mitigation of duty exposure and compliance. Laura has deep experience handling international trade projects for clients, including multinational importers, exporters, manufacturers, retailers, customs brokers, and freight forwarders.
Hubert Surville has been in the wine and spirits business in Florida since the early 1990’s. He is President and Founder of Surville Enterprises, a corporation providing compliance services and corporation management to exporters of wine and spirits into the US since 2006. He is COO of Barton and Guestier USA and Patriarche USA, which are leading companies in French still and sparkling wines since 2011. Before that, Hubert held various positions in the wine and spirits industry and started his career in France in the dairy and beverage sector. Hubert received various accolades in the world of business and wines, is Trade Counselor to the French government on wines & spirits, and was a Board Member of the French-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida for 20 years.